Saturday, February 14, 2009

Heart of Katy Fun Run


Dear Treadmill,

When I first moved into this neighborhood last fall and met you, it was pretty awkward. Living on the South Coast, I had been content to stride outside for the past three years. But the second half of 2008 found me struggling to stay in running shape, lowlighted by that stinker of a half at Rock 'N' Roll San Antonio. I knew I needed to change things up and look for some variety. Still, I doubted that you really could contribute much to my running life. I was wrong to do so.

This morning, I went to my first race since the Aramco Half Marathon. The nearby Christus St. Catherine hospital hosts this Heart of Katy Fun Run to help pay for healthcare for the financially needy. As I headed towards the start line, a volunteer handed me a red balloon. As it was my first time at this race, I was a bit confused, wondering if they expected me to run with it the whole way. I was relieved to find out that we would be doing a helium balloon release to remember those striken by heart disease; now that was something I was happy to do!

The field was small -- I'd guess seventy or fewer participants in the 5K -- so I aggressively lined up directly behind the line of teenagers that were toeing the line. The starter fired his gun and we embarked on our out-and-back on the boulevard next to the hospital. I reached the mile-one marker in 8:05 by keeping my stride short and my turnover rate up, just as we had practiced together over the course of many weeks. It's just too bad that you weren't there to catch me pressing "stop" on my Garmin instead of "lap."

I heard the volunteer at the mile-two marker call out a split of sixteen-something, and I knew I had not only a good race going, but a great race. I was doing all I could to keep my pace up, and my chest was frantically searching for a third lung in which to cram a little more oxygen. I remembered those nights we did intervals, where you would not permit me slack on the speed sections, nor allow me run the recoveries too fast. I was able to hold a strong pace all the way to the finish line.

26:18 isn't a personal record, but since I hadn't recorded a 3.1-mile run like that in nearly a year, it's a time I'll gladly accept. I hope you understand that I could never totally leave my love of running outside, but I would be willing to leave some room on my workout schedule for time with you.

Happy Valentine's Day,

CurrentlyVince

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would you be available for an interview with the Katy Times? If so, please email me at luciano@katytimes.com

Thx-

LB