Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rodeo Run

FDR made me run today.
In previous years, I've registered for Rodeo Run well in advance. But this time around I was fairly ambivalent about it. A little over an hour before registration closed yesterday, I decided to flip for it. Just to be sure, I flipped the dime twice and both times it landed with Roosevelt facing upwards. So I took the trek down to River Oaks to sign up and get my number from the volunteers at Luke's Locker.


After arriving downtown this morning, I drove into the east side of downtown away from where I knew the crowds would be. Instead of seeking a close-in parking spot, I decided to warm up by jogging the rodeo parade course in reverse towards the start line. I really like seeing all the families arriving on Travis and Texas streets to watch the parade.
For the first time I was showing up the 5K Fun Run course. Miles 4 through 6 of the 10K are an out-and-back over the Elysian Viaduct, and frankly, I wasn't in the mood to deal with that this weekend! Instead, I had a relaxing romp around downtown in just under 36 minutes. After splitting off from the 10K course, the 5K route weaves around Toyota Center and the George R. Brown Convention Center before ending at Minute Maid Park.
Part of the fun is seeing some of the 13,000 runners donning wacky costumes. The "hula cowgirls" definitely got my vote for best dressed. Their shirts were supposed to spell out "R-O-D-E-O" but they weren't really good at running in formation together, so at one point I could hear spectators cheering for the "O-R-E-O" runners.


The weather was "spectacularly spring" this morning and as it turns out, our four-term U.S. president did a good thing by prodding me out there today. Now I just need to get back in the habit of registering early for running events again!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It was a great day for a run, eh? Sorry I missed you there.