Saturday, May 28, 2011

Katy Sunrise Rotary 5K

After waking to a pre-sunrise alarm, my girlfriend and I were off to check out the Katy Sunrise Rotary 5K this morning. Choosing today's race was made easier with a RunHouston discount offer last month and knowing that the Houston Astros have moved their Race for the Pennant event from Saturday to Memorial Day itself.

With Luke's Locker running the show, it was no surprise to see this event executed flawlessly -- except for the starter's airhorn that had the sonic power of a dog's squeak toy.

Out on the boulevards of Cinco Ranch, I came back to the La Centerra shopping center with a pretty good 5K for me finish at this point. Here are the stats from the Forerunner 205:

Mile 1 -- 10:58
Mile 2 -- 11:05
Mile 3 -- 10:40
Last .1 -- 2:07

Now I did not punch "stop" on my Garmin promptly, so my chip time should look better than this. After crossing the finish line into the chute, I got distracted from my stopwatch by the little boy that ran into my back at full speed. Lots of kids were racing today. A couple of young girls were leapfrogging with me in the last half of the race -- they'd sprint past me . . . then I'd plod past them while they were looking at a crack in the road . . . then they would blow past me like I was standing still and I wouldn't be able catch them until a butterfly got their attention.

I wish I had that energy again.

So, how is your Memorial Day weekend?

1 comment:

KC said...

Sounds like a good race. I love the description of the youngens.