Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom 5K

This morning I ran my fastest 5K in more than 12 months. You'll have to take my word for it, however. In opposition to all the race day things I did right, the one detail I managed to miss was remembering to bring my timing chip.

Since you won't find me among the official results, here's the rundown from my GPS:

Mile 1: 10:06
Mile 2: 10:19
Mile 3: 10:12
Last .1: 1:19
5K elapsed time: 31:56 (per Garmin Forerunner 205)

This was my sixth time to run this Fourth of July event in Sugar Land, and I'm not seeing a reason not to come back for a seventh. The registration is relatively cheap, the tree-shaded course provides refuge from the sun, and there is a building track record of luck in the door-prize department. This year, a restaurant gift certificate rode home in the car with us.

This race report wouldn't be complete unless I document the following exchange from the last mile:
  • Spectator: This is the last hill!
  • Me: They always say it's the last hill!
  • Spectator: Sorry, we're just inclined this way.
It's not very often that someone else is dropping the wretched pun on me. Good show, sir!

Happy Independence Day, y'all.

2 comments:

Damaris said...

Congrats on the fastest race in 12 months, even though you won't show in the official results.

Christine said...

Awesome! I was there too, my first time to run this particular race.

It reminded me why I'm not a huge fan of 5ks...I get so nervous! With a marathon you don't realize how much it sucks until you are already a few hours into it. 5k's just hurt!

Good news is I beat my PR by over a minute! I even placed! (THAT NEVER HAPPENS!)