Saturday, October 15, 2011

Run to Cure HD 5K

Friday afternoon found me being dragged down by what I believe is a head cold. Even with a medication-assisted night's sleep, I wasn't exactly feeling 100% when I showed up at Oyster Creek Park to take on this morning's Run To Cure HD. I registered the requisite brain malfunction when I arrived and realized I had left my timing chip at home. No problem, really, since I'm rarely in danger of being within sniffing distance of a podium finish.

I had my trusty Forerunner 205 GPS to record my race, and it was secured with the replacement Velcro strap I ordered from Garmin after one of the eyelets on the original "watchstrap" broke, It's not stylish, but the Velcro worked really well to stop the device from bouncing around, just as it did with the original Forerunner 101.

This wound up as a tightly spaced race, as we were doing two out-and-backs on a narrow asphalt trail that was not closed to the public during the race. It's a good thing that the turnout for this was only a few hundred people or else we'd have problem with runners weaving into others' path. I kept up a pretty good pace during mile 2, "drafting" behind a woman mimicking a rollerblading motion with her stride.

In the final mile, the beginning of the final leg-in was marked with a line of white tape and some college-age volunteers were there marshaling runners to touch the line before turning around. I decided to play this up even further by asking if I could not just touch the tape line, but if I could caress it, stopping and bending over to give it a nice patting. That got a nice whoop-and-holler response.

We may be slow in the back of the pack, but we have more time to have fun on the race course!

And now, it's off to bed for me: I'll be taking on another 5K in the morning.

The splits . . .
Mile 1: 10:37

Mile 2: 10:39
Mile 3 11:17
Last .1: 1:24

Elapsed 5K time: 33:58 (per Garmin Forerunner 205)

No comments: