Saturday, June 2, 2007

Impact A Hero 5K

Today I ran in the Impact A Hero 5K, part of a fundraising weekend for the nonprofit organization Impact Player Partners. I decided that I was going take a risk and go out a bit fast. I certainly did that, popping out of the gate with my fastest mile one split ever at 8:07. Would I be able to keep it up? Of course not! Duh! The temperature at dawn was 72F with 90% humidity, and my running top was soaked through by the end of mile number two. At this point I broke down laughing when I heard the following exchange behind me:

"I'm all hot and sweaty. You think I should take my shirt off?"

"Ewwww. No, daddy don't! Gross!"

At the U-turn around 2-1/2 miles, I realized that I was just a short way behind Gary Kubiak, head coach of the NFL Houston Texans and today's honorary race chairman. I tried and tried to hang in there behind him, but ultimately he had more left in the tank than I did and he lost me by the mile three turn.

The more significant story here, however, was that today's race was an opportunity to recognize and support wounded and disabled military veterans. Several of them were at today's race; some were able to participate. At the awards ceremony, IPP announced that the 5K event had raised $40,000.




Event: Impact A Hero 5K (2 Jun 2007)
Location: Lost Creek Park, Sugar Land

Result: 29:21 (Garmin Forerunner 101)
Benefits: Impact Player Partners

This race caps off a streak of ten weekends in a row that I've been registered for a race:

24 Mar -- 30:00 -- Stride 4 Stroke 5K
31 Mar -- -N/A- -- Steps for Students 5K (cancelled, storms)
07 Apr -- 30:02 -- Resurrection Run 5K
14 Apr -- 31:38 -- Safari Trail Fun Run 5K (3rd place in age group)
28 Apr -- 29:41 -- Running for the Arts 5K
05 May -- 30:51 -- Sprint for Life 5K
12 May -- 1:02:35 -- Pear Run 10K (new 10K personal record)
19 May -- 29:17 -- Celiac Awareness Run 5K
26 May -- 29:17 -- Astros Race for the Pennant 5K
02 Jun -- 29:21 -- Impact A Hero 5K

It's been an interesting series for sure!











No comments: