Saturday, June 23, 2007

Summer goalposts

My new goal is to someday run so fast that I'll trigger the flashing "SLOW DOWN" message on this sign:
Back in the Land of Reality, I'm just in from nine muggy miles around the neighborhood. My shorts, shirt and socks were all very damp by the end. It frightens me to think what it would have been like to run this morning in cotton clothing. My reward at the end: SuperSonic breakfast burrito, tots and a tropical fruit smoothie. Yummy!

On my way out, I dropped my entry for this year's Freedom 5K in the mailbox. I'm sending it early this weekend to save a couple of bucks. I'm normally a fan of online registration, but the First Colony Community Association isn't using encryption on their website form. Sending credit card information over plain-text HTTP doesn't strike me as a very smart idea these days.

After a couple of rest days, I also got a four-miler done last night, despite the rumblings of threatening dark clouds. Felt good. Felt strong. It was nice to run on fresh legs.

I think I've come to a decision about the idea of doing a full marathon. I would like to have plenty of confidence that my marathon debut will be a positive experience. My last half in January was run at around two and a half hours. I'm not sure I really want to be on my feet for way over five hours in a full. So I think my near-term goals should now be:

1) Maintain a consistent running base of 20 miles/week
2) Drop my weight to under 200 pounds. I'm close.
3) Run a half marathon in 2:15.

The day I can pull off goal number three, I will give myself permission to think about a full marathon.

I owe someone a post about diet and weight loss. It's coming, really!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Vince, I like your blog. I think you're the Texas version of me. I said I was going to get under 200# before I made a marathon decision too.

Pat