Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Not-Quite-5K Freedom 5K


I'll start by saying that I haven't been the "happy camper" in the past several hours. This is the week I have the on-call phone from work, and I only got four hours of continuous sleep last night. But I was determined to make it through Freedom 5K because it's one of my favorite local race courses.

I arrived at the park, picked up my packet, then went over to the chip-pickup table and got a little bad news. On the table was a notice that Oyster Creek was high because of all the recent rains, thus flooding the adjacent trail. An alternate course would be used for the run. We were going to be running a 2.6-mile bow-shaped loop only on the boulevards next to the park -- so no final mile on the park's wooded trail of which I'm rather fond.

The good news was that conditions were mild for July -- an overcast sky and a race time temperature of only 76F with 94% humidity. Between the favorable conditions and knowing the course was short, I was determined to press the pace a little harder than I might have otherwise. I had a couple recovery jog periods in there, but for the most part I ran really well. I was in a heightened state of awareness in every step, trying to generate quality thrust through every footstrike and toe-off.

I'm a bit disappointed because I was on a pace to break my 5K PR. I'll never know if it could have happened today. On the other hand, I now have a 2.6-mile PR.

For the third straight year, I went home with a door prize, so my lucky streak is still alive. This year I got a one-year subscription to Runner Triathlete News.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

Event: Freedom 5K
Location: Lost Creek Park, Sugar Land TX
Result: 23:52 (Garmin Forerunner 101 and chip) on 2.6-mi course, 11th-of-19 in 30-34 age group
Benefits: Fort Bend CORPS

No comments: