Saturday, December 15, 2007

How to Build a Simple Runner Trap


Ingredients:
One (1) wire coat hanger

1) Bend coat hanger into an irregular loop.
2) Place hanger in a random location on macadam pavement.
3) Expose to elements until hanger is rusty.
4) Wait for runner.

And to think I was doing so well to avoid injury too....

During mile 14 of this morning's long run, I was crossing a school parking lot when I took a mildly spectacular tumble on the pavement. I think what must have happened is that my left foot stepped on the hanger, which popped up and caught my right foot.

I never saw it coming; In fact, at first I looked behind me and thought it must have been the storm drain. And yet, the storm drain was a good fifteen feet away. Only on closer inspection did I see the bent rusty hanger, pretty well camouflaged on the pebbled surface of the parking lot.

The good news is that I'm not seriously damaged bodily -- a few scrapes on my hands and knees, and a bump on my elbow that might bruise later. The impact with the ground popped open the Velcro strap of my Garmin Forerunner 101, but it's fine. However, the Amphipod hand bottle in my left hand was not so lucky. While helping to break my fall, the part of the handstrap that hugs the bottom of the bottle snapped apart. This had become one of my favorite running accessories and I'm not excited at the idea of spending $18 to replace it.

After gathering myself back together, I snapped a picture of the perpetrator and the victim on the nearby sidewalk and then finished up my 16-miler. I went ahead and told the fine people at Sonic to make my burger a double today.

No comments: