Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pope John XXIII Fun Run

Last year's run at this private high school in Katy, Texas featured a slick and muddy course with a devilish headwind in the third mile. This week's weather forecast had threatened rain, but none ever fell. Thus, the ground under us was firm and dry. Above us, the sky was cool and clear with hardly any breeze.

When the starting gun fired, I was behind a group of students. It took me all of ten seconds to realize that trying to hang with them would be futile, possibly fatal. So I fell back and resolved to run my own race. Our run would start on the soccer field and then wind around the banks of Mason Creek before returning to campus.

By the 2-mile marker I was saddled with an oxygen debt that was threatening me with aerobic bankruptcy. Focusing on tailing a pair of Great Legs in the last half mile became the bailout I needed for a memorable finish.

Mile 1: 8:03
Mile 2: 8:50
Mile 3: 9:15
5K elapsed time: 27:00 (new 5K personal record!)

After accepting finish-line congratulations and a bottled water, I doubled back alongside the course. I've never forgotten what it was like to struggle at the end of a fortysomething-minute 5K. The cheering and encouragement really does make a difference. So I joined the volunteer at the 3-mile marker and applauded for the folks coming over the bridge, calling out things like "Looking strong," "Beautiful day to be out here," and "There's a finish line over there, I promise!"

Owing to the small field of runners, my time was good enough for a 3rd place medal in the 30-39 age group. (The number one guy came in 10 minutes earlier!) But as I headed home I thought about how my own health and fitness is worth more than any race hardware. If someone told me in 2005 that I would eventually cut more than 15 minutes off my 5K time, I wouldn't have believed 'em.

So for the beginners that are just starting out, give yourself a real chance to stick with it and eventually enjoy this activity. Although running is something we measure in hours, minutes and seconds, the effort -- and the rewards -- are best measured in weeks, months and years.

And running-wise for me, 2008 is looking like a very good year indeed.

2 comments:

Kelly G said...

That's an AWESOME PR, Vince! You're just a little speed demon now aren't you? LOL And I agree that the encouragement you get at the end of a race really does help when you're struggling to finish. I've definitely been there before! I'm looking forward to the day when I can double back and be there at the finish line to cheer someone else on.

And congrats on the AG place!

Becky Aud-Jennison said...

vince, not only are you having an awesome running year but you are looking very SVELTE!!! running rocks!