Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dulles Dash

I was slightly conflicted about the Dulles Dash.

On the one hand, it was a virtually perfect morning for a run, and the event would be on my favorite certified 5K course in Fort Bend County.

On the other hand, the Dulles Vikings were my high school's crosstown rivals. How could I possibly register for a race in support of their athletic department?

Obviously, since I'm writing this post, you know I decided to go for it. But I left home dressed in a maroon T-shirt, silver shorts and a white hat; I was going to insist on running in the colors of my alma mater!

Another week, another small, low-key school fundraiser -- I'd estimate the turnout at less than 150. When I registered, I didn't get a bib number. Instead, they marked a number on my hand. "Just like a trathlete," quipped the race director. Well, aren't we hardcore now?

After warming up, I headed over to the start area to line up. Right before the gun went off, my last thought was, "Oh crap. I forgot the BodyGlide today."

Mile 1: 7:56
I spent a most of this mile trying to keep pace with a long-legged couple that looked like they were out for a nature walk. Some people are just so efficient in their running. They were even jogging backwards at times, laughing, and having relaxed conversation in complete sentences. I might have struck up a conversation if I was wasn't busy trying to cram oxygen down my trachea.

Mile 2: 8:14
The long-legged couple glided away and I found myself next to a kid that I guessed was a sixth grader. Should I feel bad for feeling good when I passed him?

Mile 3: 9:06
Finally leaving the boulevards, I ran under the embracing shadows of the Oyster Creek asphalt trail. I had the creek on my left side, and the woods to my right. Posted signs caution about the possible presence of alligators, but the only creatures that accompanied me here were the squirrels and bunnies at my feet, and the cardinals that fluttered overhead.

5K elapsed time: 26:05 (new 5K personal record)

As I said earlier, this is my favorite local 5K course, used for the local Freedom 5K held on Independence Day. Last year's Freedom 5K was flood-shortened thanks to the six weeks of everyday rain we had last summer. So I have to go back to July 4, 2006 for my last 3.1-mile result here -- 31:13.

It's nice to know that the improvement hasn't stopped yet.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Congrats on the PR. Your post had me laughing...LOL

Jenn