Sunday, June 8, 2008

"The Worst Pies In London"

After tonight, I'll never forget to tip the lady that cuts my hair!

Being in the right place at the right time paid off, and I got to indulge in some musical theater appreciation tonight. I saw Sweeney Todd at the Hobby Center.

I sometimes have a hard time correctly hearing song lyrics, so the exposition was pretty rough for me to follow in the beginning. But once all the main characters were set up, the story of a vengeful barber and a pie-maker desperate for business unfolded amazingly. All of the actors were also vocalists and musicians, and they swarmed around the stage engaging in all three activities. There were virtually no stage entrances or exits. When actors weren't the focal point of a scene, then they just hung around the periphery and provided the music for that scene.

I ought to see more live theater in the future. Even in the Internet age, it's still a compelling art form.

No comments: