Saturday, June 6, 2009

Heights Fun Run

Good News: As I had hoped, I'm enjoying post-race breakfast tacos after this year's Heights Fun Run.

Bad News: That's because I cooked some myself after getting home.

Good News: I was done running the race in only 11 minutes!

Bad News: When I finished running, I was still nearly two miles from the finish line.

Perhaps it was a mistake to leave my Forerunner at home this morning. I thought I'd "lighten the load" by just wearing my Timex Ironman watch. So I may have went out too fast, especially since I didn't see any mile markers on Heights Boulevard this year. The nausea in my midsection started a few blocks before the turnaround, so I started a walk break. Unfortunately, I never returned from the Puke Point in this race.

It was if I was seasick. Every time I even thought about picking up a jog again, my stomach would revolt. So I spent the next half hour being passed by everyone I passed at the start. I did have ample opportunity to thank each and every volunteer and police officer out there, so that was a plus. According to my Timex, I crossed the finish line in a time 41:10, the likes of which I haven't seen in four years.

Not surprisingly, the breakfast tacos were long gone by the time I got to the table. There's always next year....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, Vince. Is it just a bug or something you should get checked out?

Hope you're feeling better now.