Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Plotting the Winter Campaign

One month from now, registration opens for 2010 Marathon Sunday events in Houston. It may just be heat-induced delirium talking, but I'm giving significant thought to taking on the full marathon course for the second time. It's definitely not something for which I can "cram," so the time to get goal-oriented about this is now.

As a motivational prop, I recently ordered a custom Subway Cash Card with one of my 2008 photos on the front. I'm hoping it will simultaneously serve as a reminder of where I want to return and reinforce the eat-sensibly habit that helped get me there in the first place.

Either way, job number one should be to relieve my nagging achilles tendinitis issue permanently. When it first made it's rude appearance, we were in the midst of the busy spring running calendar. While I'd respond by backing off the mileage, I never gave myself permission to take any sort of real extended break from running. And it never really went away. Well, since that awful Heights Fun Run a couple of weeks ago, I have logged exactly zero miles. I also want to revisit my shoe selection.

Job number two would be choosing a training plan. In 2008 I worked up to race day on a Runner's World "SmartCoach" plan, but I want to explore other options.

One might think that having experience would be on my side would be a confidence booster. Ironically, knowing exactly what I'm getting myself into is making me nervous. We'll see if I'm really nutty enough to click "Submit" on that Active.com page again!

No comments: