Saturday, October 10, 2009

Run to Cure HD

Actually, today's primary goal was to get in some long-run mileage. So after checking in at Oyster Creek Park an hour before race time, I did an extended warmup of four miles before reporting to the start line. I'm still unable to run a full 5K at 5K effort and my mile splits look a lot like last week's:

Mile 1: 9:34
Mile 2: 11:53
Mile 3: 13:42
elapsed 5K time: 37:00 (per Garmin Forerunner 205)

Just like last week, race nausea hit me in mile 2 and dogged me into frequent walking breaks for the rest of the course. Oh well. I don't know if I was seeing the final official results, but the sheets that were posted during the awards ceremony showed me as the second to last male in my age group. At last year's event I was at the bottom, so I'll have to be happy to move up, right?

After crossing the finish mat, I was off to log another three miles before I left the park, for a total of ten. I took a rest at the awards ceremony long enough to consume a slice of pepperoni pizza and claim an XL T-shirt from the University of Phoenix ("I am a Phoenix") as a door prize. (Boy was I really coveting that free registration for the Sugar Land Turkey Trot instead!)

The weather was absolutely wonderful for a race. After yesterday's front came through, we were left with a 56F morning with overcast skies, versus the 97F heat index we had to deal with on Thursday afternoon.

Next weekend should be free of racing, and then I'll be reporting from the Energy Capital Run on the 24th.

No comments: