Saturday, November 28, 2009

Switch

I've officially switched registration to the Aramco Houston Half Marathon. I had been dreading having to do this for a while because it feels like admitting failure, but realistically, I won't be marathon ready in January.

I don't feel that it's right to charge an extra ten dollars to switch races, especially if it's a switch to the race that is less expensive. Isn't the nonrefundable nature of the full marathon registration fee enough punishment to our wallets?

I also wonder if the December 10 cutoff date to switch is really necessary as well. Rock 'N' Roll San Antonio, for example, handles switches all the way through the expo.

The exploding popularity of the event is partly to blame for this frustration I suppose. With the rapid sellouts we have now, participants are basically being asked to commit to one race or the other six months in advance.

So, I will miss out on the race route through West University, the Galleria, and Memorial Park. But there's seven weeks until Marathon Sunday, and I hope that will be enough time to be ready to run 13.1 miles from the GRB to UST and back again.

4 comments:

Run_13.1 said...

You will be ready, especially now that you worked out the nausea issues! I understand the frustration at being charged to switch though.

I had to find your blog this morning - I started one last night and all of a sudden, I started thinking I copied your blog name! (it seemed awfully familiar). I think it's similiar to your email address though, not your blog name, thank goodness!

Kimmi

CurrentlyVince said...

The name of this blog was deliberately chosen. While I muse a lot about running, I wanted to feel free to wander to other topics. Thanks for stopping by, and I'll be paying you a return visit too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.