Monday, December 7, 2009

A Belated "Runnerversary"

Last night I was relating the story of how the whole me-and-running thing began. (Readers with absurdly sharp memories know that I started this blog with that tale.) By the end of that discussion, I realized that Thanksgiving 2009 could technically have been considered an anniversary -- or as I have heard others call it, a "runnerversary"!

It's funny to draw a parallel with other relationships we might have, but it really has been a relationship. In the past five years, there have been ups, there have been downs -- and you grasp that seed of hope that promises that it will all be worth it in the end.

During the past week I logged the my most mileage since starting on the acid-reducers. Yesterday's long run was only eight miles, and from the lingering soreness, it's obvious that I'm still regaining lost conditioning.

Friday we had an amazing snowfall. Well, really, EVERY snowfall in Houston is amazing. The Northerners will laugh at this -- it prompted schools and businesses to close early. Anyway, I tried to go out in it for a few minutes, but in the end I retreated to the comfort of the indoors. By the next day we were returned to our usual mild climate, so there was no opportunity to get used to it. I remain largely unprepared for true winter running.

So, being indoors, I logged a good chunk of mileage on the treadmill. Unexpectedly, I discovered that a runner risks football-related injury by combining treadmill time with watching games on television. I nearly fell off the treadmill alogether when Texans runningback Chris Brown got intercepted (as in a pass interception . . . really??) at the goal line.

We're now six weeks away from Marathon Sunday in Houston, and I think of myself as "on target" for the Aramco Half.

No comments: