Saturday, August 21, 2010

Houston, we have ignition

It's official -- I'm registered for the Aramco Houston Half Marathon!

The way this first Houston Marathon lottery announced results was a bit backwards in my opinion. The first email was a credit card receipt from Marathonguide.com, which made the "congratulations" email from the marathon committee the next morning more whimper and less bang. But the important part is that I can light the fuse on a training regimen that will culminate in that familiar cannon blast to start my next goal race in 23 weeks.

Meanwhile I'm still dealing with August here and the scheduled workout for this date was "sucky run."

Yeah, I'm being facetious. It started with the alarm clock sounding at an early hour, but by the time I was able to dump my butt out of bed, there was no way I was making it in to run with the Katy Fit crew. So I took myself out to my familiar trail on edge of the reservoir, where it was dam hot with the morning sun shining directly on the shadeless trail. I tried to compensate for the heat by going shirtless for most of the four miles. Fortunately, it's a lightly traveled path up there and I don't worry much about scaring innocent orphans and pets with my bared flesh. Even so, conditions were really tough and I ended up walking a lot of the distance.

In better news, I think my core conditioning is going in the right direction. I'm able to hold a plank position for 30 seconds now. Since I couldn't even make it to ten when I started, I'm celebrating this as progress.

Yes, I felt bad for not making it out to my training group, but found a way to make the situation work. I took the opportunity to perform an overdue spark plug change because I didn't drive anywhere this morning and my car's engine block was "cold." (Note to future self: If you're still driving the Blue Wagon of Happiness a couple of years after this blog post, it probably has between 210,000 and 220,000 miles now. Go change them again, buster!)

Here's hoping for smoother running all around in the near future!

No comments: