Thursday, April 14, 2011

Getaway Driver

My remembrance of the night of April 13, 2009 has barely faded. In the time since the hit-and-run that claimed the life of Jerry Luis, I've noticed that the focus of my thoughts has shifted.

In the days and weeks immediately after the accident, my mind was filled with self-regrets. I felt sorry for not having been in a better spot at the time of the collision to be a more effective eyewitness in identifying the pickup driver, and I felt deficient as a human being because I couldn't stop Jerry from dying. Out of these feelings grew much reflection over what I could and could not control about the tragedies that happen on our crazy planet Earth.

When the first anniversary arrived, my reflections turned to Jerry's family. Of course, I didn't know any of them, but I could see the visible tribute they left for him on the side of the freeway and wondered how their lives must have changed when this person was ripped away from them in such a sudden and violent manner.

Another year has come and gone. Yesterday, I found that my thoughts were revolving around the pickup truck driver. Who was it and why didn't he or she stop? Was it an illegal immigrant, an unlicensed driver, or someone with a criminal background -- someone that would avoid law enforcement at all costs? Was it an immature kid that felt unprepared to take responsibility and ran away scared?

My curiosity compelled me to check the Houston Crime Stoppers website, which confirmed my suspicion that Jerry's case remains among the unsolved. So the driver is probably still out and about. He or she might even be one of my neighbors. Does this individual even have an awareness of what really happened that night? Surely the truck must have taken quite a bump, and Jerry's motorcycle made quite the BANG when it left the roadway. Even after that, is it possible that the truck and all of its occupants completed the turn blissfully unaware of the carnage left at the intersection?

Or, is it possible that the driver is aware that he or she has gotten away with a felony? There's no statute of limitations on fatality hit-and-run in the state of Texas. Sadly, this could be motivation for the driver and anyone else with information to keep quiet.

And so, my best hope is that the responsible party has been spending time burdened in silence by their own conscience. But my heart feels that this driver simply got away.
Link

3 comments:

Letty said...

I received a phone call phone from my sister asking me to go to her house immediately and hung-up. By the tone in her voice I could sense that something was wrong. So, I got my keys and headed for her house a block away. When I arrived at her house her face was dark red along with her puffy, swollen eyes. I followed her into the kitchen. She sat at the table in front of her laptop where I saw a posting that began with the words Dear Jerry. I began to read your posting which took every ounce of strength I had to continue reading without bursting into tears. Just like you our lives were foreever changed that terrible night God Chose to call Jerry home. I only wish we could have at least had the opportunity to embrace him, gently kiss his cheek as we so often did when he came home to visit. But, we never had the chance to say good-bye. I (we) have often wondered about you, "the runner" who was with Jerry during the last momments of his life. Was Jerry aware of what was happening? Did he suffer? Did anyone pray over him? Did Jerry have any final word? Why didn't the driver stop? There are so many unanswered questions that have made it impossible to have any closure. Especially with the person responsible still living his or her life as if everything is okay. It's not okay. Not a day goes by that my Mom doesn't think about Jerry, what she could have done to prevent this horrific accident. We all feel the same.

I pray everyday that God gives the person responsible for Jerry's accident the strength and the will to come forward. Tonight I will pray and give thanks to God for having placed you in Jerry's path. It gives us great comfort to know that such a caring person who even thought to pray and ask God to help Jerry in his hour of agony was with him.

Thank you for helping my brother, for being by his side when his family was unable to get to him soon enough.

I had no idea you were posting blogs reagarding Jerry's accident. Thank you for helping to answer, if only a few, of the questions we are tormented with daily.

CurrentlyVince said...

Letty,

I'm sorry for your loss. Of course I did not know him, but what human being could not be affected in some way by such a personal tragedy unfolding right before his eyes like that?

No, he wasn't able to respond to any of my questions when I found him. I couldn't see his face behind the visor, so I can only guess that he had lost consciousness already.

The blog posts have been useful in helping myself deal with what I saw. And, of course, I've hoped that they might contribute to resolving the unsolved case for Jerry and for you, his family.

God bless you all.

let5847 said...

Just a glimpse into jerry's life here a re two you tube sights. Also, it was funny that you mentioned running for jerry and all those who are unable to run anymore. Jerry himself was a runner, and participated in many marathons. We will be in Houston a couple of weeks, and if at all possible I would like to meet to, the shake your hand, put meet the man who was with jerry praying over him in his final hours. My email address is let5847@yahoo.com. this is a link to his YouTube video the other in is in merry of jerry Luis http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=6vxa7LH-FTc