Monday, April 13, 2009

"I hope he makes it."

I'm going to start this post with three recommendations for my readers who run . . .

1) Carry a cell phone.
2) Carry some form of identification on your person.
3) While running alongside a road, run against the direction of traffic whenever possible.

. . . and here's why:

Tonight I went out for another short run. I was running alongside a freeway feeder road when I heard a loud bang behind me. I turned around and saw a motorcycle and its rider flipping in mid-air. The motorcycle came to rest by the curb, but the rider had been thrown many yards farther onto the bank of a nearby ditch.

As I ran towards the motorcyclist, I yelled out, "Are you OK!?" In retrospect, this was a very silly question after what I had just seen. I quickly drew my cell phone out of my Nike armband and dialed 911 for the first time in my life. I gave the operator my location and described what had just happened. Another witness to the accident had pulled over, got out of his vehicle and was looking the motorcyclist over. Over the phone, I was given instructions that we were not to move him or do anything unless his airway was compromised. Luckily, he was breathing, if mumbling incoherently.

Also in the motorcyclist's favor was the proximity of the nearest fire station, whose HFD paramedics responded quickly. As they went about their work, I decided to attempt to pray. I kneeled and said a few words asking God to be with this man at this time. Then I started to recite The Lord's Prayer, and found myself forgetting the words. My hands had went numb to the point where it would have been difficult to dial the phone again if I had wanted to do so. The gravity of the situation had finally sunk in and I was feeling shaken.

Some time later, as the feeling returned to my hands, a Life Flight helicopter arrived at the scene and took off with the motorcyclist aboard. Police accident investigators were surveying the scene and took statements from us. Because I was facing away from the accident when it actually unfolded, I probably won't be of that much use as an eyewitness. But the other witness made a very good point to me. Had the accident occurred just a few seconds prior, I could have been in the path of the vehicles involved. As a runner on the sidewalk, I would have had a better chance of taking necessary evasive action if I was facing the approaching traffic.

The motorcyclist had a wallet with a driver's license, so even though he couldn't speak, the paramedics knew who he was. It reminded me of why I wear my Road ID. Something as simple as a cheap dog tag around your neck can communicate critical information to first responders. And tonight's accident reminds me of why I don't run with headphones and carry my phone. The prompt 911 call might have made a difference for the motorcyclist tonight. I hope he makes it.

Ride safe. Run safe.

2 comments:

Lorelei Leigh said...

That's really scary, Vince. I'm glad your okay, and I hope that the motorcyclist is okay as well.

Anonymous said...

Great job stopping to help, Vince. It's always disturbing to hear about another rider down.