Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rodeo Run 10K

15,000 on Texas Street ready to stampede. The guy in the banana costume slipped ahead and I never saw him again
(This is being typed on March 3. Yeah, I snoozed a little on this blog post!)

If spring is breaking in, then 'tis the season to Rodeo! The Rodeo Run date hasn't been really all that kind in the past weather-wise, but 2012 brought in some pretty good running weather. Just cool enough to be refreshing, the overcast skies were a welcome sight in a late morning run that has given me sweltering sun . . . . when not pelting me with rain and wind.

I've always had an affection for the 10K distance -- it requires you to save some in the tank lest you burn out early, yet it's still short enough where you want to make each second count. And I'd have to say that this was overall a really good race for me at this time. I was able to keep the sub-11 minutes pumping through practically the whole race, except for mile 5 (rising over the Elysian viaduct for the second time) and the brief mile 1 rail stoppage.

Yes, one of the unexpected things runners sometimes get in a race finally happened to me. During the Leeland Street leg of the course, a string of METRORail cars on Main Street rolled into my view. After halting in my tracks for a couple of dumbfounded seconds, I realized that hundreds were bearing down on my position behind me, so I made a point of turning around and yelling

"TRAIN!"

Once again, I saw numerous people demonstrating of one of my pet peeves -- wearing headphones during a crowded race. I still don't understand why someone might think it's a good idea to block out the surrounding sound during a mega-event like Rodeo Run. There are bands on the course, course marshals are barking out directions, and other runners may try to alert you that they're about to pass . . . or warn you of a train.

Safety first, pardner.

It's all downhill from here!


The splits:

Mile 1 - 11:32
Mile 2 - 10:43
Mile 3 - 10:54
Mile 4 - 10:40
Mile 5 - 11:07
Mile 6 - 10:51
Last .25 - 2:24
10K Elapsed Time - 1:08:12 (per Garmin Forerunner 205)
10K Elapsed Time - 1:08:05 (chip time, with 5K halves of 34:12 and 33:53)

No comments: