Saturday, April 27, 2013

Green 6.2

It doesn't make sense to me, but I finished this morning's Green 6.2 a few seconds faster than I finished Rodeo Run two months ago.

The splits:
Mile 1 -- 10:06
Mile 2 -- 10:34
Mile 3 -- 10:40
Mile 4 -- 10:43
Mile 5 -- 10:50
Mile 6 -- 10:10
Last .14 -- 1.21
Elapsed 10K time -- 1:04:24, per Garmin Forerunner 110

We got a dose of warm weather, closer to what you'd expect in Houston in late April. My clothing was a little damp at the end, but obviously the humidity didn't drag me down too much.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the race course layout helped by being twisty. There were very few points where the view ahead was an intimidating length of pavement that stretched out our line of sight to the horizon. From the satellite image of my Garmin data I count 22 turns in 10 kilometers, which may be the highest frequency of turns I've ever seen in a one lap road race. At the final U-turn, I caught up with a lady with "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" on the back of her shirt, so of course I was humming the Monty Python tune through the finish line.

Overall this event seemed well-organized and finishers collected both a tech shirt and a medal -- which is bound for my next Christmas tree with all the others.

No comments: