Sunday, May 5, 2013

Run for Wellness 5K (April 2013 make-up)

So for what feels like a long time I've been aware of the free monthly Run For Wellness 5K series at George Bush Park, but strangely I hadn't been able to remember to register for and show up for any of them until last month's, scheduled for the day after the Green 6.2. So of course, they canceled that one because they got scared by strong storms the previous night.

But on this Cinco de Mayo, they had a make-up race. And it looks like a confluence of perfect weather, rested legs and a no-worries attitude made me fast this morning.

The splits:
Mile 1 - 9:17
Mile 2 - 9:35
Mile 3 - 9:49
Last .09 - :47
Elapsed 5K time - 29:28 per Garmin Forerunner 110

Honestly, I wasn't thinking about any kind of time goal when I got to the park, but my breathing was just so easy that I just decided to push it in the first mile and then hang on as long as I could. The pace caught up with me in the third mile and I opted to walk for a few seconds but it wasn't long enough to thwart a sub-thirty, which I hadn't seen since the November 2011 Run With The Saints.

After the race I took a lime green shirt to a tent at the postrace gathering. The April event was designated as a Boston tribute after the marathon bombings. A company called called Handmade Collective Silkscreening invited us to BYOT for Run To Remember iron-ons at no charge. They turned out looking pretty good.

No comments: