Thursday, December 15, 2016

Tech Update 2016

Looking at some of my past posts, it's been interesting to reflect on how some of my tech choices have turned out in recent years. I thought it would be fun to post about where I'm at now.

Phone -- In the years since posting (here and here) about my first smartphone in 2011, I moved on to a couple other now-deceased Android phones after I lost that Motorola Backflip to water damage: a Motorola Atrix 2 (cracked screen) and a HTC One Mini (failing to boot). I'm picky about wanting a "small" phone (screen less than 5") and kept compromising on other features to maintain that. That's why I had been getting by with a 1st-gen Motorola Moto G for the past couple of years. However, being hamstrung by the 8GB of onboard storage (less than 6GB usable) got too annoying; I kept running out of room for apps without trying very hard. And so I moved on to an Xperia Z5 Compact. It's basically last year's flagship from Sony, and have nothing negative to say after a week with it. I've invested in a nice bumper case so hopefully this one will enjoy a long reign in my palm.

Laptop -- I parted ways with that Acer netbook from 2010 when it died after a couple of years. I lived life with no portable PC until I decided to pick up a Lenovo ThinkPad E545 in 2014. The E545 is from the ThinkPad lineage of boring but venerable business-class laptops. It's most crucial job now is streaming Internet content to the TV through the HDMI port. So, really, it also replaced my no-longer-supported first-generation Roku box.

Desktop -- Amazingly, the Vince-built PC from 2010 based around an i3-530 CPU is still my primary desktop machine. The RAM has since been doubled to 8GB, This month I splurged on an upgraded GPU, the nVidia GTX 750 Ti, because I wanted to dabble in more PC gaming, starting with  Cities: Skylines. (Getting pulled out is the nVidia GT430 which had been good enough for many years of Minecraft.)

Server -- The HP Mediasmart is still dutifully performing daily PC backups. One of the Western Digital hard drives I had added after purchase failed last year, but surprisingly I was able to exchange it under warranty. 

No comments: