Tuesday, January 10, 2017

It's the most runner-ful time of the year -- 2017 edition

Yes, I still have something of a running life, even if I've slacked on blogging about it in the past year.

This weekend I will take on the Aramco Houston Half Marathon for what will hopefully be my tenth finish and achieve "Legacy" status. (I believe this is not much more than a free hat and bragging rights.) With the cap (full+half) at 27,000, participation in the event is close to doubling the numbers that were showing up when I completed my first Aramco Half in 2006; it's still one of the greatest days on the calendar in the city. I've had a very informal training season that culminated with a decent sub-3-hour jaunt for 13 miles around west Houston a couple of weekends ago. It's a good thing I didn't really need more long-run mileage because last weekend was miserably chilly with overnight lows in the 20s. Brrrrr!

My registered event count in 2016 was pretty low. I was registered for Run For The House benefiting Ronald McDonald House in December, but lousy (stormy) weather caused organizers to cancel the race. In November I ran the Nottingham Forest Club Turkey Trot and the Crimson and Gold 10K at Pope John XXIII school in Katy. And I think that was it. Maybe I should get back into doing a few more in 2017.

Meanwhile I'm still churning out monthly linkposts over at Houston Running Calendar.Good luck to all runners in the Aramco Houston Half Marathon and the Chevron Houston Marathon!

No comments: