Saturday, March 31, 2007

Spring rain menaces two races to help brains

Today was supposed to have been a somewhat historic occasion. I've gone walking in the park with my parents before, and I laced up my Sauconys to run with my sister in a 5K back in November. But the four of us have never been out on the same course at the same time. It's too bad that this still hasn't happened yet.

We were all registered for the
Steps for Students 5K near downtown Houston, but I awoke this morning to the percussive rumbling of a line of strong thunderstorms that swiped through the metro area. We drove down to the event site, and the absence of street closures was the sure giveaway that the organizers had given up. As consolation, we warmed ourselves up with jasmine tea and dined on some delicious red snapper at a Thai restaurant for lunch, so all was well.

(Scheduling note: As I was collecting our race T-shirts (hey, they were paid for!), the woman behind the registration table mentioned that the Greater Houston Prostate Cancer Run/Walk 5K (also an out-and-back on Memorial Drive) will be moving from November to June. That's right, the
Dad's Day 5K is returning to its calendar slot near Father's Day, as well as taking back its former name. I remember that they reasoned that participation would increase with a "cooler" date in 2006, but apparently ditching the Father's Day connection was a failed experiment.)

Well, this marks the second weekend in a row where rain has shown up at a 5K I wanted to run. Last Saturday's inaugural
Stride 4 Stroke had small showers popping up during the run, but not enough to wipe out the event outright. Now, lightning, and tornado threats will scare me from running outside, but standard-issue rain never has. In fact, I think it helps me run faster. (My engine's water-cooled, man.)

I would definitely consider doing the S4S event again. The setting is nice, especially with the after-race hoopla situated right on the turf of Rice Stadium. In addition, it's a dogs-welcome, strollers-welcome event, and who doesn't like seeing pets and kids out enjoying themselves? The water stations were handing out half-liter bottles instead of little cups, which is another sign that they had walkers in mind instead of hardcore runners. I hope there's always room in the world of running for events that can cater to both the serious competitors and the ordinary joggers like me, who find that a freshly grilled hamburger at 9 a.m. is enough motivation to hustle back to the finish line.

Event:
Stride 4 Stroke 5K (24 March 2007)
Location:
Rice University, Houston
Result: 29:51 (Garmin Forerunner 101)
Benefits:
Methodist Hospital System's stroke awareness campaign

Event: Steps for Students 5K (31 March 2007)
Location: St. Joseph Catholic Church, Houston
Result: cancelled due to weather
Benefits: Catholic schools of the
Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston

No comments: