Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fast Crowd

The results of the Shamrock Strut were finally posted online. My chip time was about eight seconds faster than my Garmin time. I guess I wasn't very good about hitting my timer at the right spot that day!

Despite being excited about the PR and breaking the one-hour mark, I couldn't help but notice that I was near the very bottom of my age group in this race, as opposed to being squarely in the middle of the pack at Rodeo Run. The smaller the race, the more hardcore the runners are I suppose. But very, very few of the male 10K runners took more than 60 minutes.

On the RunnersWorld forums I frequently muse that you cannot help who does or doesn't show up to a race, and this one was definitely a reminder of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About 10 years ago, when I had started running the little bit I was, I signed up for a 5k. Previously, the 5ks I had run included thousands of runners - Breast Cancer runs - and this one, to my dismay, had about 50 people in it. All totally hard core runners.

I came in last.

I'm glad I didn't know it was going to be so small, or I wouldn't have gone!