Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Run Happy"

I've been due for a new pair of running shoes for a while, and I certainly didn't want to hit the pavement at RNRSA with my feet in the "old and busted."

So this afternoon I paid a visit to the newest running specialty store in Fort Bend County, the Texas Running Company. The doors to this place first opened back in January, and I finally got around to walking through them. It will be interesting to see if running enthusiasts in this area can support both this store and the venerable Finish Line Sports.

As I had feared, Saucony had "updated" their lineup once again, but for the first time in two years, I'm not following. The designated successor to my beloved Trigon 5 Guide did not offer the same support and room in the toebox that I had previously enjoyed. So I considered myself completely open to move on to other brands and models.

The employee that helped me gave me a handful of suggestions after watching my gait. Like others before him, he thought the Brooks Beast would be a good fit. I happily told him that I had previously tried those shoes for a week and they may as well have been wooden planks after a couple of miles. Ouch! Yes, I pronate, but despite what the "conventional wisdom" says, motion-control shoes are not right for me! I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8. I hope to try them out tomorrow.

I might get to use the new footwear in an event situation soon. I'm strongly considering the Run to Cure HD as my first race since the Fired Up 5K.

I logged a long run of ten miles this morning. At 2:08 elapsed it was nothing to really celebrate, but at least it's better than what I've mustered the past couple of weeks. Perhaps the Brooks shoes will live up to the company's slogan and help me "Run Happy" again.

1 comment:

Pat said...

good luck with the shoes. The RnR SA looks great, you'll have a blast. I wish Icould run in it.