Thursday, November 27, 2008

TXU Energy Turkey Trot

I waited until the night before to register for this 10K in Houston's Uptown District. At least I was smart enough to not try registering for this big event on Thanksgiving morning itself! My car and I showed up 30 minutes before gun time and I took a spot in a nearby garage since all the spaces in the Uptown Park shopping area were full.

I was able to get a semi-decent five-minute warmup and then took a spot in the starting crowd near the "11 minute pace" sign. I think most of the folks running had little idea what an eleven-minute pace was, because I was dodging and weaving for just about the entire first mile. Of course, this ended up throwing off my pace and I came upon the first mile marker in less than nine minutes.

That would end up crushing me because soon after I got to the three-mile mark in 27 minutes, I lost energy. I took several walk breaks back to the finish line and ended up with a 10K chip time of 1:00:58.

So for now, my 10K PR from this year's Flying Pig (59:07) is still kicking back and feeling safe. I still feel that this is a "soft" number that I should be able to crack if I can just get decent speed and fitness back....

No comments: