Saturday, July 4, 2009

Run Wild 5K

It's been a summer of droughts. After flooding from the massive rain event in May, Houston's been dry as a tinderbox. And ever since my trainwreck-like race at the Heights Fun Run, I've been struggling to log any mileage at all, even taking a couple of zero weeks. But after a couple of decent run/walk sessions this week, I decided to go for the "comeback" on Independence Day at the Run Wild 5K. And it was a pretty good one:

Mile 1: 11:10
Mile 2: 11:06
Mile 3: 13:10
5K elapsed time: 36:31 per Garmin Forerunner 205

For those wondering, Run Wild is the timing services company that put on this race. There was nothing "wild" about it, unless you count the shopping at the boutiques in Uptown Park!

One of the most pleasant things about the morning actually came before gun time. When I arrived, the Uptown Park parking lots were full, so I decided to drive a couple blocks over to an apartment complex on the other side of Post Oak Boulevard. I parallel-parked on the street, stepped out, and discovered a twenty-dollar bill next to my car.

Coincidentally, when I registered yesterday, I padded on a few extra bucks for the race charity Special Olympics of Texas -- for a total of $20. I think I was meant to be at this 5K.

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: