Saturday, July 24, 2010

Groupthink

As of this morning, I'm pretty sure that I'll be joining the lottery sometime in the coming weeks in the hopes of landing a spot in January's Aramco Half. The estimated odds are 4-to-1 in favor of an entrant to get picked, although as I've said before, it wouldn't be crushing if I'm not. There's lots of other events to run.

In the never-ending search for motivation and variety, I've signed up with the Katy Fit training program for the coming season. Mostly, I've been working out on my own over the past several years, and the "group thing" will be something new and fresh for me as I look for half marathon finish number ten.

After checking in, I took in my first orientation this morning. Then we set out for a "pacefinder run" to help separate us into groups. (As demonstrated for me numerous times during pre-race lineups, there are lots of people who really have no clue about what pace they run.) So after a mile-and-a-half, I grabbed a cupcake from one of the sponsors and gathered with my cohorts in the "red" group. It was like the sorting ceremony scenes from the Harry Potter books, except with less CGI and more heavy breathing.

See y'all in the fall!

(We do have autumn weather coming -- right!?)

No comments: