Saturday, July 31, 2010

Takes a Licking....



Readers who have been paying abnormal attention to my long-distance race reports in the past know that my pace always fades at the end. Sadly, I am the master of the positive split. With the Katy Fit training season officially under way, I've decided explore the possibility that a run/walk training path might actually lead me to a better pace.

After arriving later than intended and scrambling for a parking space at Terry Hershey Park, I jumped in with a small Red sub-group led by Coach Doug on a two miler using rough 10:1 intervals. Today this worked out to yield one walk break in the middle. This was followed by stretching and the workout finished with some plank holds. After mere seconds the planks had me wincing as my core was licked; I definitely have room for improvement there!

My door prize karma decided to show up today as my number was drawn for a CoolMax fabric Timex cap. The "keeps on ticking" slogan on the back could become a new mantra for me as the season moves forward.

Additional Notes:
  • One of the post-workout speakers was there to spread the word about an anti-slavery 5K being hosted by Kingsland Baptist Church -- the Just Run for a Just Cause.
  • Due to Marathon Sunday coming to Houston a couple weeks later than usual in 2011 and because of the uncertainty of the Chevron/Aramco lottery, Katy Fit will be keeping registration open well into August.
  • After coming home I checked on my beer-bottle marigolds this morning and was pleased to see that one stem has sprouted root hairs in just plain tap water. There will be a transition to potting mix in its near future.

1 comment:

Girl In Motion said...

Very cool about exploring different ways to run - you never know what might work better for you. Love the marigold in the beer bottle, too. May it grow into a wildly bustling beautiful plant.