Saturday, July 12, 2008

Michael Ellis DeBakey (September 7, 1908 – July 11, 2008)


I just read the news that Dr. Michael DeBakey passed away this morning, just a couple months shy of his 100th birthday. Sometimes we overuse the word "legend" to describe someone, but I'm quite certain that this label was meant for persons with accomplishments like his. Advancements in medical science directly attributable to him save lives every day.

Just yesterday, I was posting on the RunnersWorld forums about how comparisons to high-achievers can be a truly two-sided coin: (1) You can let them get you down and discouraged, or (2) you can let them spur you on to unleash the best you have to offer the world.

I really would like to get better at number 2. Farewell, Doctor DeBakey. As someone who once had an eye on a medical career, I salute you.

No comments: