Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Nope, he didn't."

Rationally, I know the response to last night's accident was flawless. My 911 call went through seconds after the man hit the ground. Everyone knew not to try to move him to avoid aggravating any spinal cord trauma. The paramedics arrived within a few minutes -- it seemed quick even in my hurry-up-and-wait state of mind. And as long as he was drawing breath, I was clinging to hopes he would make it.

But he didn't. I was told this afternoon that the motorcyclist died. All day I've been rolling the whole situation around in my head wondering if there was something different we could have done to change the outcome in his favor.

At this time, the police are still seeking the hit-and-run driver.

Prior to this week, I've never actually seen anyone fatally injured right before my eyes. So I'm dealing with it and I'm sort of hoping I've met my lifetime quota.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine the impact that situation has had on you. You DID do everything you possibly could. Not being a professional medic you were completely in the right not to do anything to the rider.

Sadly there are instances where riders go down and someone trying to help injures them further by accident. You did the right thing by calling 911 and letting professionals help him.

Even more sad, most people see an accident and just continue on their way without helping at all.

The action you took was perfect, don't doubt yourself!