Sunday, January 20, 2008

Recovery Week Number One

Exactly one week ago, I was starting my 26.2-mile loop around Houston. Afterwards I was sore for a couple of days, but if you read my race report, you know I pretty much went back to my usual routine right on Sunday afternoon after the race. I think it finally caught up to me yesterday, because I felt so ill and wiped out that I took a nap in the middle of the afternoon . . . and didn't really wake up until an hour ago.

Other than the three miles on Wednesday, I haven't felt like running at all this week. I really hope it's a temporary thing, like turning away sweets after over-indulging on Halloween candy. I don't want to be that guy that trains for a marathon and then quits running forever after crossing that finish line. I am hoping that the past three years has proven that being active has become a permanent part of me.

I am already registered for my next race. Enticed by the offer of a Brooks tech running shirt instead of cotton, I signed up early for the Rodeo Run 10K. I've got so many cotton shirts from races that I probably should look into donating some to a worthy cause somewhere. So when a race gives me this option, you bet I'm going to jump on it. The retail price of the shirt is probably well more than half of the race registration.

Anyway, the race packet came in the mail yesterday. I had gotten cocky and ordered a MEDIUM shirt. Guess what? It actually fits! Yip-yip-yip-ya-hoo!

I think I'm going to change the way I'm logging workouts. I want to keep this blog purely for narration, so that's why I stopped posting my weekly running miles here at the end of 2007. Perhaps I'll start another blog dedicated just for daily workouts....

2 comments:

RunMomRun said...

Vince...you rock. There is no way you will stop running now. Enjoy your well deserved rest.

Pat said...

yeah, I don't want to be that guy either. My brother ran the NYC about 15 years ago and it was the last time he ever ran. Just stopped.

You ought to look into logging your miles on runningahead.com, then you can post the results on your blog. Check mine out on the right side of my blog.