Sunday, January 27, 2008

Recovery Week Number Two

I'm pleased to report that I managed to log 13 miles this week. That's ten more than the week immediately after the marathon. Starting this week I think I should be fully recovered in my opinion.

I'm sitting in my comfy chair right now pondering over what races I want to do this spring. One of the "secret" resources I've used to uncover Houston running races is the webpage for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. There's a link to a calendar that lists the events -- like parades and road races -- that will require street closures. Here's the first batch of my possible races; most of them are repeats from last year:

23 Feb -- Park to Park Run 5-miler or the Steps for Students 5K
This decision might come down to whether the family wants to make an attempt at "making up" for last year's rainout.

1 Mar -- ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 10K
Already registered!

8 Mar -- Stride for Stroke 5K
Rice University -- especially Rice Stadium -- makes a pretty good race site. I might go back just for the hamburgers!

8 Mar -- Bayou City Classic 10K

15 Mar -- Lookin' Good Shamrock Strut

16 Mar -- K-9 Fun Run and Walk
I've been thinking that it would be fun to try a dog event....

12 Apr -- Pope John XXIII Safari Trail Fun Run
I actually got 3rd place in my age group last year. So I have to go back, right?

3 May -- Running for the Arts 5K

24 May -- Astros Race for the Pennant 5K
I see no formal announcement yet, but participation was strong last Memorial Day weekend and I don't see why they can't run it again. This is one of those I'd like to run every year if possible.

?? ??? -- Pearland Pear Run 10K
I haven't seen any announcement for this race either. But I liked running it in the past and hope they hold it again. Flat and shaded course means great PR potential!

No comments: