Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bayou City Classic 10K


I just had a breakthrough 10K at Rodeo Run a couple of weeks ago, but going into this one, I wasn't sure what to expect from myself. But the race ended up yielding some surprises.

Mile 1: 8:32
Mile 2: 8:40
Mile 3: 8:51
Mile 4: 9:24
Mile 5: 9:21
Mile 6: 9:25
10K Elapsed Time: 55:48 (new 10K PR)

Official results aren't up yet, and those times above are taken from my Forerunner 205. After my seeing my first two mile splits I was worried that I had gone out too fast. Sure enough, I hit my Puke Point shortly after the Shepherd Drive turnaround and I spent the rest of the run just trying to hold things together. Lots of people were passing me on the return leg, but I think the one that really got to me was the guy wearing the "Run Easy" Reebok shirt. I do not recommend this race strategy, but I had managed to "bank" enough time on the outbound leg of the course to somehow still notch a PR by nearly a minute over my Rodeo Run time.

The skies stayed clear of rain during the race, the wind was tame, and the temps hung down in the mid-40sF -- my shorts/long-sleeve/hat weather. Looking at my first three mile splits makes me think I might have had conditions ripe for a 5K PR as well. But that course wasn't on today's menu.

After successfully crossing the finish line without ever actually throwing up, I walked over to the Saint Arnold tent in the post-race area. My stomach had settled to the point where I could down a glass of Fancy Lawnmower. It's really a summer brew, but I'm not one to complain about free beer!

Normally I hate races on Memorial Drive; it's concrete and out-and-back means usually means staring into the rising sun. But I got drawn into the one by the prospect of gathering some of the H-Town folks on the Runner's World forums. It was neat to see "Palacios Paul," "Scottydog," "Blackhawk26," and "Kimmi5207" all gathered at one race.

Now we're two weeks away from the Angie's half, and the truth is that I have no idea what version of my running self will be showing up that morning. Would it be too much to ask for the temps to stay below 60F at the end of the month?

No comments: