Thursday, March 12, 2009

Warmed Over Blog Bits for Thursday, March 12

It's been a while since I've posted to this blog something other than a race report. Here are some of my random CurrentlyVince thoughts for those of you still following along....

  • Right now I'm feeling a bit disconnected from today's tech culture. I realized that I really like the feeling of having physical media for my recorded music and movies that I can hold in my hands. Just last night I noticed that my checkbook was nearly finished and felt strongly compelled to do something about it, despite the fact that I have occasion to write a paper check only a handful of times a year.
  • So what can I do to reconnect as a member of Generation Tech? The latest issue of Maximum PC just landed in my mailbox this week, and the cover story is titled "50 Things Every PC Geek Should Know." Maybe I'll start there. Of course, just the fact that I still subscribe to print magazines might be a sign that I'm stuck in the past. Even the venerable PC Magazine went 100% digital this year.
  • The property formerly known as Town & Country Mall -- 13 miles west of downtown -- has been wholly redeveloped and rechristened as "City Centre." The name change alone expresses so much about the direction of population growth in the Houston area. The newest Studio Movie Grill opened there this week. Together with the Cinemark at Memorial City that opened last fall, the two movie theaters fill what I've thought has been a very strange void in one of the most affluent sections of the city.
  • If you ever need to come up with an example of niche marketing, look no farther than Santa Fe Natural Tobacco, maker of Natural American Spirit cigarettes. I found an ad for this product while flipping through this week's edition of the Houston Press. (Gotta love those Press advertisers!) Do you know people who are both cigarette smokers and members of the buy-organic crowd? Apparently this company does.
  • I subscribe to neither cable or satellite TV, and broadcast reception was initially very spotty inside of my new-to-me living room. In this digital age of television, I'm one of those who live on the edge of the "cliff effect" -- just a truck passing by outside could be enough to knock out a show. I've found success with hanging an amplified multidirectional antenna inside the window, backed by a double-layer of aluminum foil. Hardly high-tech, but this setup is soaking up enough signal to keep me from falling off the edge of the cliff.

No comments: