Monday, March 23, 2009

The Run Before the Storms

I'm pretty sure I can get to the finish line. Everything else is TBD.

Let's face it -- I haven't really been loading up on the mileage approaching this weekend's Angie's Half Crazy Half Marathon down in Clear Lake. I wanted -- nay, let's make that needed -- one more long run into the double-digits not so much for conditioning as for a confidence booster. So when I set out on the dam trail tonight, I vowed that I wouldn't quit until my Forerunner hit 10 miles.

Twinges of Achilles tendinitis made a rude appearance about halfway out, but I worked through it. Actually the worst part of the return trip home was probably facing that stiff east wind. I was pretty occupied on Sunday, and Tuesday is supposed to start a string of days featuring thunderstorms. So today was probably my best shot at one final long run. While it was not pretty, a ten-miler does get credited to my log tonight.

As usual before a big race, the preceding days will be loaded up with rest. The calf muscle stretching will continue. Hills are supposed to aggravate AT; thankfully, the Angie's course is flat flat, flat. Six days out, and I really have no idea what to expect from this one or how aggressively I can run it. I guess that's why we don't just run these on paper!

1 comment:

Girl In Motion said...

Hope you feel better Vince. Do you have some little heel lifts for your regular shoes? That helps a lot with achilles problems, takes the strain off. Here's wishing you a fantastic race this weekend!