Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Growing Impatiens


Other than an outdoor thermometer, my apartment patio has been barren since I moved in. On a whim, I've decided to attempt to launch a little garden project out there to liven things up.


The challenge of this location is that it is an eastern exposure. And even some of that morning sun is obstructed by the nearby handiwork of the Texas Department of Transportation. Let's just say I'm not living here because of the view. In my online searches for easy-to-grow species for the spring/summer season that can tolerate both "bright shade" and Houston weather, one name kept appearing -- Impatiens.

Tonight I hung a couple of window boxes off the railing and planted some seedlings with a bright pinkish-red hue. Total project cost was a little under $50. I put six plants in each 24-inch box, as if I'm counting on some of them dying off early. In the event that all of them live, there's going to be some intense sibling rivalry in those containers.

So the patio garden begins with the Impatiens, or as I like to call them, my "safe bet" plants. The next move I'm plotting is a riskier one: I'm thinking of attempting to grow normally sun-loving roma tomatoes on the same patio.

No comments: