Saturday, March 28, 2009

SCOPE Fun Run

Previously, I had left today's date open with tomorrow's half marathon looming. I had even decided not to do the Pope John XXIII Fun Run this year -- the only race where I've actually lucked into age-group placing.

With Paulette (Runner's World forumite "kayano") in the midst of her treatment battle with cancer, though, I couldn't pass up an obvious way to show support like this morning's running event at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center -- the Sprint for Colorectal Oncology Prevention and Education, or SCOPE. SCOPE, get it? (I know, some of you are a little behind in getting that kind of humor.)

Not being pre-registered, I drove down to the Texas Medical Center and was in a little rush to perform walk-up registration. I was directed by volunteers to park on the eighth floor of the parking garage. When I saw that the elevators were busy with arriving participants, I went down the stairs instead. After registering, I took the stairs back up to drop off stuff I wasn't using for the race in my car. Then once more back downstairs, I looked for a restroom. Signs directed me into M.D. Anderson itself to bathrooms on the second floor. Wouldn't you know it, the escalators weren't running....

After that stair workout, I lined up and we were off and running. While I was inside the hospital, my Garmin gave me the "Are you indoors?" question, and I foolishly selected yes. Now I was outside, and in the first mile of my race, the GPS was shut off. I was trying to select a decent 5K pace, but had no idea how fast I was really running until I reached the first mile marker in 7:56. Uh oh. That was WAY too fast.

I slowed down in mile 2, completing that in 9:16, but the damage was done. I had triggered my Puke Point, and was in trouble. I thought back to the history of the Texas Revolution and of James Fannin's sacrifice with his men at Goliad, and how it might be a little disrespectful to hurl last night's spinach and salmon onto the street that bears the colonel's name. So I stopped running and started walking.

Crossing the finish line with an elapsed time of 28:06, I decided that taking a sub-30-minute time today was good enough. I got a T-shirt from the race, and plan to send it to Paulette this week.

1 comment:

Stef said...

I also ran the SCOPE 5k on Saturday and realized I had gotten to the 1st mile marker a bit too quickly (8:06ish). I was also having problems with the cold air in my lungs that day...crossing the line at ~26:05...a few weeks back I ran a 5k where I was in your boat and was happy with my 29-ish finish.

That aside, do you know where or when they are posting the results? I was unable to stay for the afterparty and am anxious to see how I did (my husband said I performed well). Also, check out my blog (linked in my name), I also wrote about the race and specialze in healthy cooking.

Thanks!