Saturday, May 31, 2008

Astros Race for the Pennant 5K

I neither expected a personal record time today, nor did I get one. I showed up and finished the Astros Race for the Pennant 5K for the fourth year in a row, and that in itself is an accomplishment to me:

2008 -- 28:51
2007 -- 29:13
2006 -- 32:43
2005 -- 46-something-minutes

When I began "this running thing" at the start of 2005, I weighed almost 250 pounds and couldn't even run 100 yards without being winded. There were so many points where I could have justified quitting, but I believe it was intense dislike for what I had let happen to my body over the first 32 years of my life that kept pushing me away from my old habits. I started eating better. I didn't know about the "Couch to 5K" program, but looking back, I realize that C25K is very similar to what I figured out on my own. In April 2005, I found out about the ARFTP 5K coming that May, and just like that, I had a goal that could pull me forward. I registered as a walker because I didn't feel worthy enough to wear a timing chip. Crossing the finish line of that event was one of the hardest things I've done in recent memory. But when I did, I knew that things would be different going forward.

I'm now three years older and 40 pounds lighter. For those that are struggling with weight and fitness issues, please be patient with yourself and don't give up! While we talk about running races as an activity measured in hours, minutes and seconds, living the healthier lifestyle that makes it possible is something that is measured in weeks, months, and years.

Thoughts on this year's ARFTP:

  • I consider this one of the harshest 5K races I've done in the area. Sheltered by the buildings downtown I reached the first mile marker in 8:13. But miles two and three are on streets with strong exposure to the 8 a.m. sun and an out-and-back where runners tackle an underpass twice. It's early in the summer when I'm still not acclimated, and the heat and humidity wipe me out to the point where I need walk breaks on the return leg to the stadium.
  • I am now determined to replace my three-year-old Forerunner 101. Twice, during miles 2 and 3, it shut itself off despite having fully-charged batteries, so I have no splits. (They were probably ones I didn't want to remember.) This race is making me consider a unit with a heart-rate monitor because I could definitely feel my breathing and pulse racing in the second and third miles.
  • I finished my race shortly after Runner's World forumite "running_crazy" and I got to meet and chat with her during the post-race activity. She's genuinely excited about doing more races, and we might be saying hello at more than one future event in this calendar year.
  • I think old age is taking its toll on Hall of Fame broadcaster Milo "the voice of the Houston Astros" Hamilton. I would swear that he inexplicably uttered a puppy bark into the microphone immediately before announcing a group of female AG winners. The people sitting behind us said they thought he barked too. Strange.
  • The ChampionChips used at this year's race were "keepers" just like the ones we used in the Houston Marathon. I guess ChampionChip is responding aggressively to the challenge from its competitor that tried introducing those timing chips integrated into the race bib number. They do make interesting race souvenirs. If I collect enough of them, maybe I could create a necklace or something!
  • To this day, I still think it would be awesome if this race didn't end in Minute Maid Park's right-field foul territory, but kept going for a trip around the bases. I promise I'll resist the temptation to slide....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, please slide into third just once for me!

What a great avatar that would make!

Great RR... you've come a long way and you should be proud!

Becky Aud-Jennison said...

WOW! I didn't realize where you started from . . . Your progress is amazing!