Thursday, May 29, 2008

Remembering Angel

I was born a native New Yorker, four days after Mary Ann, who everyone called "Angel." The friendship between our families has its roots that reach all the way back to those NYC days in the 1970s. As kids, our families moved us to the same part of the Houston area at virtually the same time. It's hilarious to think about now, but I could consider her "my first" -- the grade-school girlfriend. As we grew up we began hanging out in significantly different social circles, and our paths in life diverged completely after high school.

Two years ago, Angel's body was found in a minivan on the side of a highway. The vehicle had been set on fire and investigators needed dental records to make the identification. Progress in the case appeared to have stalled until this week. I found out that two men and one woman have been charged with arson and tampering with evidence . . . but not murder (yet).

I can hope this development helps her family, especially her three children, get nearer to a feeling of closure. But I can understand if it only makes their emotional wounds sorrowfully raw as they live through their loss once again.

The news goes down with a bittersweet taste for me personally. The prospect of having someone held responsible is heartening, but at the same time I'm reminded yet again that there are some things we can't undo and some things that can never be completely fixed. In particular, having someone in my peer group pass away in such a sudden and grisly manner really made me reflect upon what meaning my life -- or anyone's life -- has in the end. Perhaps, ultimately, could it be those that care the least that decide how much a human life is worth? It's hard to believe otherwise sometimes.

Here's to you, Angel. May you rest a little better tonight.

----------------------------
P.S. After I first published this post, someone online pointed out that she believed that only God ultimately places value on life. I suppose I should have been more specific and said "could it be those that care the least that decide how much a human life is worth on earth." We, as individuals, as neighbors, and as a society have a responsibility to value the lives of others. It really, really bothers me to think that some choose not to.

No comments: