Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon

As with many pre-race nights, I didn't sleep very well, being too excited and nervous about the half marathon, which would be my fifth. (So, when do those jitters stop?) When my alarm clock began to sound, I couldn't help but think that it was only 3:30 a.m. back home in Texas. This morning I played it safe and ate only a Peanut Butter Clif Bar and drank Gatorade.

As I walked the bridge out of Newport, I noticed how hushed it seemed over the Ohio River. Once I made it to the Cincinnati side I found myself alongside a mad convergence of car traffic -- a sure sign of Marathon Sunday in a city.

I found some other forumites and we had our group photo opportunity in front of Paul Brown Stadium. Then we went down to settle into the corrals. Then we found out about the fire-on-the-course delay, which meant I was stuck for another 15 minutes with my legs stiffening up a little from yesterday's race. I couldn't help but notice that the weather conditions were just about perfect. Very light breeze, clear skies, and starting temperature in the forties Fahrenheit.

Prior to the weekend, I had convinced myself that the half marathon would basically be a "bonus event" after racing the 10K as hard as I could. But as the cannon blast summoned runners forward, the race adrenaline began to flow again, and I started feeling really, really loose.

Mile 01 - 10:09
Mile 02 - 09:45
Mile 03 - 09:47
-- The blister that I got yesterday started bugging me. For much of the rest of the race, I would be shifting my toes inside my shoes trying to get some relief.
Mile 04 - 09:20
-- First GU taken. As I was leaving the fluid station, the sound system started playing "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns 'n' Roses. I was pumped!
Mile 05 - 10:00
Mile 06 - 09:32
-- Running through downtown with spectators close on the left and right was definitely energizing. The people here really seem excited about Flying Pig weekend!
Mile 07 - 09:42
Mile 08 - 10:29
-- Worst uphill on course. Second GU taken. At the top of a bluff, I was treated to a view of the Ohio River below. As I heard the men's choir singing behind me, I knew I had taken the course's best shot and it hadn't beaten me.
Mile 09 - 09:06
Mile 10 - 10:23
Mile 11 - 07:00
-- OMG OMG OMG what a downhill! Towards the end I was a little concerned that I would lose control and splatter myself on the pavement. At the bottom of the hill, I was surprised to see Airinpie, her DH and TN Tim standing there cheering me! That really meant a lot to me! What a lift!
Mile 12 - 09:35
Mile 13 - 10:09
-- My energy was fading. "Penguins, I need a push," I thought. And I know their good vibes found their mark with my final surge.

13.1-mile elapsed time: 2:08:16
(94th of 197 in the Clydesdale 200-219 division)

And so I had a new PR, besting my 2:13:35 from the San Antonio Half Marathon last November. As a resident of the Texas Gulf Coast I was very intimidated by the elevation profile before the race. As of now, while I have a healthy respect for hills, I won't necessarily fear them as much as I did.

After collecting my first-ever mylar blanket and my finisher's medal, I walked back across the bridge to my hotel. I stretched a bit, drank more Gatorade, then took my laptop across the street so I could post hellos on the forums.

I text-messaged IrishPenguin to check on her progress in the full marathon. The answer I got concerned me a little. Since she was nice enough to cheer for me yesterday, I wanted to return the favor today. I crossed the bridge back into the finish line area in Cincinnati and then back-tracked along the marathon course. It was here that I realized exactly where they had re-routed the full marathon course through a park. I finally found IP at the Mile 22 marker and began to run with her. For the next four miles I attempted to keep her entertained with some conversation. Right before the Mile 26 marker, I patted her on the back and said, "OK, it's all you now, Kelly. Go get your finish." and then jumped back off the course behind the finish corral barricade and watched her kick it in.

After getting showered and rested a little, I got my ride to the FE party. I really wasn't very hungry at the time, but I did my best to fill up on grilled hot dogs, beer and soda. I got another chance to chat with more forumites including Michelle (MickeyD). After winning the women's division of the full marathon, Michelle was looking very, very snazzy with the laurel wreath! If only we could all experience the chance to pick up something like that....

And that, folks, was the story of my weekend. In my three years of running, this has become THE highlight. It was oh-so-very-cool to finally meet so many of those I trade posts with on the RW forum.

Finally, I cannot thank Luis enough for being the driving force behind the FE activities. He and his stepdaughter Bailey basically saved me the cost of a rental car this weekend by shuttling me everywhere.

No comments: