Monday, May 26, 2008

Home(page) Improvement

For someone who makes his living in IT, I'm embarrassingly behind the times when it comes to tech implementation in my own life. I navigate the streets of America's Driving Capital in an eight-year-old car that is powered solely by gasoline. I happily communicate with a cell phone that was cutting edge material three years ago. Heck, to this day I still think the compact disc is amazing.

So my readers will probably be amused to know that this Memorial Day weekend, I ventured out and registered myself on the two big networking sites, MySpace and Facebook. When the web first began its awakening in the 1990s, the homepage sites of choice were Tripod, Angelfire, or GeoCities. But now those names are part of a fading memory of the last century, so this old man needs to catch up. These new homepage platforms offer us an ease to connect and communicate that we simply didn't have before. Fifteen years after getting my first glimpse of the Internet, it still shows me something new -- even if it's something old to the typical teen.

No comments: