Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pear Run 10K

In retrospect, maybe this race was probably not a good idea. My legs were still feeling the effects from the 28-mile binge I had in Cincinnati last weekend. But after the indigestion troubles in the Flying Pig 10K, I had a strong desire to find out how I would do at this distance if I avoided donuts beforehand. The 10K was my "project" all spring anyway and this is pretty much the last one of the season in the area.

What I love about the Pear Run course is that it's tree-shaded and pancake flat. I had a good thing going for the first three miles, covering them in about 27 minutes. I pretty much was on fumes the rest of the way, though -- and battling the warm and muggy conditions as well. One of the locals caught up to me at the start of mile 4 and started chatting about the Houston Marathon. That was nice, but in the back of my mind, I was a little frustrated because those low nine-minute mile splits were evaporating. So I ended up crossing the finish line with a chip time of 1:00:50.

Oh well. It's now summertime, which means no one (except the truly nuts) races over 5K here.

No comments: