Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ike Day: 11:30 a.m.

We ventured outside for the first time to let the dog take care of business and to check on the neighbors. Everyone we talked to seems to be OK. We have AT&T and T-Mobile cell phones that are unable to lock onto the network. In a moment, I'll turn on the office laptop and see if I can still connect using the Verizon Wireless aircard. (Unfortunately, the battery life on that ThinkPad isn't very good.) Landlines are still OK, so we can still make and receive calls through those numbers. DSL, of course, only works while I'm drawing juice from the backup battery. (Thank you APC!)

We still have water pressure and natural gas, so we can cook. Hurray!

The curfew in Fort Bend County has been extended to 2 p.m. I still see folks driving the streets. After 2:00 I might hop on my bike and do a more extended survey of the neighborhood. On this street, there are numerous small branches down and some wood fences blown down. The pavement is covered in "street salad." Rain is still falling. Gusts are strong enough to invert umbrellas.

No comments: