Saturday, September 6, 2008

Turn it up to 11!

I definitely wanted to log a long run this morning. Originally I was thinking that 8 miles was a reasonable distance for this point in my running life. But an absolutely rejuvenating atmosphere of 70F was waiting for me outside, and I was coming off of a rest day.

I didn't even have discernible sweat on the outside of my shirt until mile 4. Dropping heat and humidity is like lifting a straitjacket from my running. So I decided to stretch my goal. I chugged into Sonic Jog-In after 11 miles in two hours and one minute. This was my longest run since the Flying Pig Half Marathon in May, and I toasted the occasion by washing down a bistro breakfast sandwich with an apple juice slush.

I tried a new-to-me product today. In my handheld bottle I mixed water with an envelope of Clif Shot Electrolyte Replacement Drink that I got as a sample from a race. I think it might be OK, but I'm not too crazy about the apple flavor I tried.

Well, the bottom line is that the distance is coming back. We're now ten weeks out from Rock 'N' Roll San Antonio.

1 comment:

Pat said...

you're my kind of guy. I used to run to Dairy Queen to get some soft serve. good luck with the SA RnR. They keep track of runners that run every year. In Phoenix they held a luncheon for those that did the first 5 years.