Monday, September 15, 2008

Spinning up to a new normal


The following observations only apply to my immediate neighborhood here in Fort Bend County. Remember what I said in previous posts about being among the lucky. Much of the Houston area is still without power after suffering much more damage from Hurricane Ike, and other locations are certainly worthy of disaster relief assistance.

  • A cool front has come through the area and the morning low was 71F. That ought to make things a little more bearable for those still without air-conditioning.
  • My employer's building in Houston sustained roof damage, and so I'm home while it's being repaired. The data center remained intact, and I'm doing what I can through VPN.
  • Grocery stores in the immediate area have re-opened their doors, but they're short on fresh meat and produce. The freezer cases are barren. Other items are being sold on a "quantities limited" basis.
  • There are long lines at gas stations. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these customers are ones that have come out of the un-electrified areas in search of a working and stocked gas station.
  • Traffic lights around the neighborhood are functioning again.
  • Restaurants are re-opening. Yesterday we confirmed that the local Popeye's, Papa John's, and Vietnamese noodle house were back. Hooray!

I've gotten some comments about keeping my sense of humor during this experience. All I can say is that it's easy to remain buoyant when it's apparent that everyone you care about is accounted for and safe. All the damage around me has been inflicted on mere property. We can fix or replace all of it. The "tinkerer/builder" side of my personality even feels that we've been almost given a "clean slate" in some areas to make them better than before.

Living through these ordeals together reaffirms our strengths and bonds us together in ways that the carefree times cannot. May God grant me the chance to welcome the new normal as a stronger person, part of a stronger community.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Occasional lurker here to say glad you're okay!

Lorelei Leigh said...

I think you have a great attitude about it, Vince. Sometimes, you have to laugh or you'll cry, or so it is with me. These kinds of events (and I've been through a couple) do tend to offer opportunities to discover strengths we didn't know we had. It has a way of brining people together, for a time. The danger is how quickly we forget the lessons we learn during such events. I guess the new normal isn't too bad, considering.

Anonymous said...

Vince you're right. It's not like there's anything you could have done to stop Ike in its path, or make 'him' change courses, s you've got two options. Either you play the 'whoa is me' attitude and try to get sympathy, or you get out and kick some tail... Once you know your loved ones are safe, I think you made the right attitude decision.